An informal survey... round II

John Curran jcurran at mail.com
Fri Aug 31 02:16:43 UTC 2007

At 2:14 PM -0400 8/30/07, Deepak Jain wrote:
>John --
>
>Great panic starting question.

Sorry, not my intent.  I'm just trying to get a handle on the
state of the art of what's available today, and whether it has
some really excellent scaling properties in case we see a much
more granular block reuse.  It's by no means inevitable, just
a probable outcome of any routing-indifferent IP address space
"market" (whether legitimate or not).

>I'd guess that by 2010, we'll be worried more about IPv6 growth than IPv4 growth but the archives will bite me in the you-know-where in 3 years when I'm wrong (in either direction).

I'd love to believe that, but there's real world issues with IPv6
readiness as well as challenges communicating the business
need to make the necessary preparations.   When we're all
still debating in technical fora the need to move to IPv6 versus
viability of a heavily NAT'ed IPv4 endgame,  you can't expect the
folks in boardrooms to commit to any large investment decisions.

/John