Question on 7.0.0.0/8

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Sat Apr 14 09:40:29 UTC 2007

On 14-apr-2007, at 11:56, william(at)elan.net wrote:

>> CYMRU has 7/8 listed as a bogon:
>> 	http://www.cymru.com/Documents/bogon-dd.html

>> Their list is more or less authoritative, so I would believe that
>> you should never see traffic from that netblock. This is also
>> consistent with Sprint blackholeing it as a bogon in your original
>> post.

> Their list is no more "authoritative" then mine and I suspect they
> simply did not look into this netblock case before.

I would think IANA is authoritative...

(Note that the ARIN whois server will not complain about searches for
a prefix, but it won't match anything, you need to search on an IP
address.)

Another interesting case:

025/8   Jan 95   UK Ministry of Defense              (Updated - Jan 06)

# whois -h whois.arin.net 25.0.0.0 | more
OrgName:    DINSA, Ministry of Defence
OrgID:      DMD-16
Address:    DINSA, HQ DCSA
Address:    H4, Copenacre
City:       Corsham
StateProv:  Wiltshire
PostalCode: SN13 9NR
Country:    GB

NetRange:   25.0.0.0 - 25.255.255.255
CIDR:       25.0.0.0/8
NetName:    RSRE-EXP
NetHandle:  NET-25-0-0-0-1
Parent:
NetType:    Direct Assignment
NameServer: NS1.CS.UCL.AC.UK
NameServer: RELAY.MOD.UK
Comment:
RegDate:    1985-01-28
Updated:    2005-09-06

# whois -h whois.ripe.net 25.0.0.0 | more
inetnum:        25.0.0.0 - 25.255.255.255
netname:        UK-MOD-19850128
descr:          UK Ministry of Defence
country:        GB
org:            ORG-DMoD1-RIPE
admin-c:        MOD123-RIPE
tech-c:         MOD123-RIPE
status:         ALLOCATED PA
mnt-by:         RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT

I tried emailing RIPE and ARIN. hostmaster at ripe.net returned my
message unread and I have no idea what other email adddress to use,
hostmaster at arin.net talked at length about cleaning up the legacy A
space without actually addressing the issue. Good times.