Italy is promoting djbdns

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Tue Mar 7 09:11:34 UTC 2006

Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Mar 06, Rodney Joffe <rjoffe at centergate.com> wrote:
>

>>It appears that Italy has ordered Italian ISPs to block access to a
>>number of Internet Gambling sites. It would be interesting to see how
>>the Italian ISPs are handling this, what with dynamic DNS and all
>>that...
>
> So far, the method officially recommended by the government entity
> involved with collecting the gambling fees has been to create fake
> zones on the caching resolvers of the large consumer ISPs.

I always think of italy as a more liberal country than the rest
of europe. I hope this will change the dns world once and forever.
It is not so hard to build your own dns server. The rest of us
can buy routers with builtin antizensoring dns resolvers.

It makes sense running your own dns. It is faster than the gift
(poison) dns from your ISP.

Nasty: english "gift", means poison in germany :)

It does not matter wether u youse bind or djbdns. Do use it!

> Operationally, I wonder how many ISPs will bother removing these zones
> when the law will be repealed (because there is no chance that it will
> stand before the european courts).

Italy has a name to loose for unzensored internet. I hope they dont ruin it.

>>From a more practical POV, it can be noted that the obvious methods
> useful to bypass the "block" (using a random open proxy or just a random
> open resolver) have been widely advertised on gambling forums even
> before it was implemented.
> Personally I do not believe that the government ever believed that this
> would work, it's just a trick to add some extra future earnings to the
> 2006 budget law.

Kind regards
Peter and Karin Dambier

--