AW: Italy orders ISPs to block sites

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue Mar 7 08:26:19 UTC 2006

On 7-mrt-2006, at 9:13, tom wrote:

> Hi Folks across the ocean..

> I understand, that from an American point of view this kind of
> restriction
> looks strange and is against your act of freedom, however here in
> Europe
> gambling is a state controlled business

It looks strange from the right side of the ocean too, at least to me.

What I don't get is why they think it's ok to limit our freedom of
information. If they want to make sure we don't gamble in undesired
ways, they should cut off the stuff that matters: the money. There is
much more precedent for that.

> Imagine, if kids in the US would be able to order Cannabis from
> Online-shops
> in the Netherlands (as it is leaglized there)through mail order?
> Would you
> or your legislation agree to that?

Actually, buying this stuff for personal use isn't really "legal" but
there is a policy of not doing anything against it, which obviously
boils down to the same thing. Dealing in larger quantities and
sending it across the border is a different matter, though. (One of
the arguments in favor of this policy is that in countries like
France or the US even more people smoke cannabis. I find it hard to
believe that this would be physically possible, it seems like half
the population uses the stuff over here.)