shim6 @ NANOG

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sun Mar 5 22:03:42 UTC 2006

Thus spake "Joe Abley" <jabley at isc.org>
> Was it not the lack of any scalable routing solution after many years  of
> trying that led people to resort to endpoint mobility in end  systems, à
> la shim6?

Who exactly has been trying to find scalable routing solutions?

IPv6 advocates have been pushing a no-PI model for over a decade because
that's what ISPs told them to do.  When they found end users didn't like
that, they went off and developed what has become shim6 as a poor apology.
There has never been any significant work done on replacing CIDR with
something that scales better.  Every such proposal I've seen has been
ignored or brushed aside by folks who've been doing CIDR for their entire
careers and refuse to even consider that anything else might be better.

All this time, energy, and thought spent on shim6 would have been better
spent on a scalable IDR solution.  Luckily, we still have another decade or
so to come up with something.

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin