VoIP calea interfaces

Eric A. Hall ehall at ehsco.com
Tue Jun 20 19:46:19 UTC 2006

On 6/20/2006 2:57 PM, Hoffpauir, Dusty wrote:

> The FCC/FBI have left it up the industry to define a standard, they are
> not defining it themselves.

Right. But they do have veto power, and they do not appear to have given
approval yet. Meanwhile the deadline continues to close. This is an
awkward situation.

> There are 2 "standards" being discuss/worked on for packet delivery of
> intercepted voice and call data. One is being done by ATIS and is t1.678
> which is still in draft. The other is packetcable by cable labs and
> that's been in use and on going for a couple of years now

Yeah those are mentioned in FCC-05-06 as near completion.

It looks like t1.678 is most applicable to the area I'm primarily
interested in, since it describes voice-over-packet interfaces in general,
and mappings for SIP and H.323 in particular (although it seems that the
LEA interface is undefined, and also seems to assume some kind of circuit-
or local delivery, all of which is quite curious--this is what the IETF
guys call out as hand-waving).

> Cisco is packet cable compliant today.

For the DOCSIS equipment you mean? That's a whole 'nother world from the
RFC3924 stuff.