NANOG Spam?

Rodney Joffe rjoffe at centergate.com
Sat Jul 8 20:29:14 UTC 2006

This is directed to the remaining 9,983[1] subscribers to the NANOG
list who have *not yet* sent email to announce the fact that they are
lurkers. (I think I heard someone say that there were 10,000[1]
people on the list, but maybe it was only 1,000, or 100 - I'm old,
and bad with numbers and have A.D.D. and all that). But whatever the
number... if you believe you have to post a message to show that you
exist...

DON'T.

No-one really cares. Please go read Jim Popovich's misunderstood post
which started this whole thing:

http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg01009.html
Read Joe Yao's follow up, logically letting those subscribers from
the now recognized slow learning crowd know that Jim was describing
actions he took for *other* lists that *he* controlled. Not NANOG.
And if you still don't get it, read Jim's confirmation of Joe's
hypothesis.

But *please please*, don't post a message just because you think that
if you don't, you'll be unsubscribed.

If this was a list I had any influence over, I would use the fact
that a subscriber posts a defensive message as canonical evidence of
lack of clue, and instantly drop them from the list.

[1] And yes, if the number is anything close to 10,000, we can make
the assumption that the list is comprised predominantly of hoisl's
classmates (a free NANOG 27 t-shirt to the first person who recalls
and provides a link showing the connection :-)). And if you do know
what the reference is, check that no-one has yet provided it before
doing so - don't become a hoisl yourself.

/rlj
Speaking only for myself.