is this like a peering war somehow?

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Thu Jan 19 23:44:59 UTC 2006

proving once again that "peering ratios" only matter if the other guy's
customers can live without your "assymetric" content, here are two articles
i saw today via slashdot.  what's interesting to me is whether bellsouth
will be sued some time later by some other content provider for de-peering
them without also having applied the same rules to google.  note, this isn't
a bellsouth-specific rant, they just happen to be mentioned in today's story.

--------

http://www.networkingpipeline.com/blog/archives/2006/01/google_we_wont.html
Google: We Won't Pay Broadband Cyberextortion
January 18, 2006

BellSouth and Verizon have been trying to force big Web sites to pay
extortion-type fees if the sites want adequate bandwidth, with Google a prime
target. But Google has news for them: It won't pay.  [...]

--------

http://www.networkingpipeline.com/blog/archives/2006/01/bellsouth_cyber.html
BellSouth: Cyberextortion Pays Off
January 17, 2006

BellSouth's new business model, a slightly more polite form of the kind of
extortion practiced by Tony Soprano, is starting to pay off. The company says
it is in negotiations with several Web sites willing to pay extra fees to
BellSouth for more bandwidth than it provides to other sites.  [...]

--------