PI space and colocation

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed Jan 18 19:45:56 UTC 2006

On Jan 18, 2006, at 2:41 PM, up at 3.am wrote:

> If one gets PI space from ARIN for their network, then moves the
> servers
> to a rack at a data center (still using the space efficiently),
> will most
> colocation providers announce this space for them, or would most
> providers
> require them to take allocated space from them?

I don't know about "most", but every one I've asked has done it.

You might need to sign an LOA.

> Is it a reasonable alternative to establish a BGP connection with the
> provider over ethernet?

It is technical feasible, but I don't think 'reasonable'.  Stub ASes
are pollution on the 'Net.

But that doesn't stop some people.

> Is this ok per ARINs requirements, assuming you first acquired this
> space
> under their multihomed network guidelines?

That I do not know, but would guess "no".  (I would also guess they
won't notice. =)

Of course, if the space is /20 or more, you qualify under other rules
too.

--
TTFN,
patrick