do bogon filters still help?

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Jan 11 21:47:00 UTC 2006

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Florian Weimer wrote:

>>> You should move 192.88.99.0/24 from SPECIAL to YES (although you
>>> shouldn't see source addresses from that prefix, no matter what the
>>> folks at bit.nl think).  169.254.0.0/16 should be NO (otherwise it
>>> wouldn't be link-local).
>>
>> I think you just explained it yourself why this is "SPECIAL", i.e.
>> routing of it depends on local policies and setup. Anything where it
>> is not clear from RFCs if it should be routable or not and where it
>> depends on local decisions & policy is what I called SPECIAL.
>
> Uhm, no.  6to4 anycast only works without hickups when the prefix is
> NOT treated in any special way. 8-) That's part of its charm.  If
> operators start to install special filters, they break this
> functionality for no real gain.

I think this is still quite a bit of a special case as opposed to for
example 24/8 block which is ultimately used same as regular RIR blocks.
Nevertheless I changed routing to "YES" and leave explanation for future.

I also did update and listed comment for reserved blocks with explanation
that either regularly updated filters should be used or blocks should be
left fully routable.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks