Spam filtering bcps

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Thu Apr 13 17:38:41 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 03:35:51PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:28:59 CDT, Bryan Bradsby said:
> >
> > > Silently deleting other people's e-mail should never even be considered.
> >
> > Unless that email is a virus, or a spam with a forged envelope sender.
>
> No, in that case you 550 the sucker.

Unfortunately there is plenty of mailing list manager software that
will disable your subscription if your mail is rejected enough
times.  Mailman being a good example.  I have been unsubbed from
mailman lists that have allowed viruses through, even with the
default mailman settings for boucne processing.

In a perfect world, no mailing lists distribute spam, viruses and
malware.

At the moment therefore while practicing reject after DATA I do find
it necessary to mark as spam and accept if it has Precedence: bulk
(or list or whatever), because otherwise my users complain and
"don't subscribe to poorly-managed lists then" is not an acceptable
answer for them.

Regards,
Andy