Address Space & ASN Allocation Process

Will Yardley nanog at veggiechinese.net
Mon Sep 26 23:09:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 05:46:34PM -0500, sjk wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Vicky Rode wrote:

> > Is there a minimum address space (?) an entity would need to justify to
> > go directly to RIR (ARIN in this case) as opposed to the upstream
> > provider? Is /20 the minimum allocation? Can my client approach RIR and
> > request for a /23?

> > If my client do procure a /23 how do they make make sure that this
> > address space will be globally routable?

They can't really make *sure* of it, any more than with any other
prefix.... I think there is language to that effect somewhere. That
said, I think ARIN does try to allocate these smaller allocations from a
block that is less likely to be filtered (by most networks).

> Yes, minimum assignment is /20 (and this is considered temporary, as the
> official minimum is /19) -- there used to be some experimental /24s,
> but I believe these are now gone. ARIN will only assign /20 or more --
> larger prefixes must come from your upstream provider.

Could be wrong, but my understanding is that they will allocate a /22 or
shorter when the requesting org is multihomed.

http://arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four222