Multi-6 [WAS: OT - Vint Cerf joins Google]

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Mon Sep 12 22:42:46 UTC 2005

> >> So how do you know it's 4 million and not 4.1?
>
> > Could be 4.1 or even 4.2.
>
> And therein lies the problem.

My point, we don't know so some arbitrary or technology limits will
have to do as there isn't financial reason to make something
bigger

> in any event, 32-bit AS
> numbers allow for 4 billion ASes, not 4 million.

Of course.

So we know it's somewhere between 4G and current 20K. If the current
policies apply then ASs may not increase greatly but prefixes will be
lots less.

Sounds like no problem for multi homing as we do now if nothing more
acceptable is agreed. Otherwise people will just ignore V6 until it's
too late

V6 could have saved lots of upgrades for those about to hit
the ~250K V4 limit of existing Ciscos

> > If we need it then it will exist, if not then we won't be able to do
> > that and will do something else instead
>
> That's not good engineering.

It's what people do though, good engineering is pointless if it doesn't
get used

> we still have SOME time
> to come up with new stuff that will make multihoming in IPv6 scale.

As long as it doesn't involve pushing the problem onto the hosts, C & J
don't always get it right, I'd hate to see 1M times more machines relying
on M or L.

brandon