SWIP and Rwhois in the Real World

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Wed Sep 7 04:12:44 UTC 2005

At 07:55 PM 9/6/2005, Andrew - Supernews wrote:

>  william> The above line is as clear as it gets (if the other two
>  william> mentions that data is to be made available to public is not
>  william> enough), so there this argument that rwhois should be made
>  william> available only to ARIN is now against ARIN's policies and
>  william> whoever you know who is still making it should be pointed to
>  william> URL I listed.
>
>NetRange:   4.0.0.0 - 4.255.255.255
>ReferralServer: rwhois://rwhois.level3.net:4321
>
>% telnet rwhois.level3.net 4321
>Trying 209.244.1.179...
>telnet: connect to address 209.244.1.179: Operation timed out
>
>Doesn't seem to have made much difference yet...

Their rwhois seems to be terminally down. Can we reclaim 4/8 from them now?

Hopefully, ARIN will block them from acquiring more address space
(should they need it), pending functional SWIP or rwhois.

As the owner of a small provider, I found SWIPs far preferable to
rwhois, at least with the rwhois code I found available. I really
don't have a problem with folks choosing one or the other, but if
you're going to choose to use rwhois, then monitor the service and
make sure it's working.