shim6 (was Re: IPv6 news)

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Oct 17 06:01:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, John Payne wrote:
> I'm also undecided about how I feel about the extra packets caused by the (I
> forget the official term) discovery packets for shim6 for an end site with
> say a hundred machines each with thousands of short lived TCP sessions.

The shim6 capability detection can (and I expect it will) be postposed
to be done only when arbitrary policy criteria have been met (e.g.,
the session has lasted more than 30 seconds).  It doesn't need to be
done before establishing the session.

IMHO, this is a MAJOR benefit of the current shim6 approach, compared
to other mechanisms or approaches (e.g., HIP).