Level3 Question

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Sun Nov 13 17:05:12 UTC 2005

At 04:10 PM 12/11/2005, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

>On Nov 11, 2005, at 5:19 PM, Wayne E. Bouchard wrote:
>
>>I think, however, that this will be less dramatic than other
>>things. This is a "relatively" simple software change. The one thing
>>it *will* do is make sure that all the old hardware out there that
>>runs BGP won't work anymore and have to be updated. This is arguably a
>>good thing. Also remember that this is still some time away. Getting
>>ever closer, but still a future event.
>
>Given the presentation at the last NANOG, the "old" routers running
>16-bit code / hardware / ASICs can just keep going for a very long time.
>
>Or did I miss some important point?

not at all - you are correct. The presentation at the last NANOG said that
if you are in a routing domain with an existing 2 byte AS number then you
need to change _nothing_. Of course, after a few years, you may come to the
conclusion that AS23456 has launched a nefarious plot and is popping up all
over the routing world, but you will still need to change _nothing_.

regards,

    Geoff