Utah considers law to mandate ISP's block "harmful" sites

Joe Johnson joseph.johnson at hostwaycorp.com
Fri Mar 4 19:52:15 UTC 2005

Most proxy caches are jokes nowadays, anyway.  In middle school, the local
district used a Microsoft Proxy server that blocked all sites except a
whitelist. When it took over 45 seconds to check a site against the
whitelist (and by that time, all but a few students knew the one and only
name and password, anyway).

Then by High School, they moved to Bess from N2H2 and realized that giving
teachers names and passwords was a mistake (it took 1 week to be as
effective as the old proxy, which still worked anyway). Then they revoked
all user accounts on the proxy servers and blocked external proxies, just in
time for Terminal Services to allow people to remote to their home PC and
browse at their leisure (no, port blocking never came to their mind, and no
one mentioed it to them).

Sincerely,

Joe Johnson
www.JoeLovesDreamweaver.com
joe at sendjoeanemail.com

P.S.: Gary, I am sure I want to use Outlook.