Localized mail servers, global scope

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Jun 23 13:50:13 UTC 2005

> I don't have the answers but I think the 10 years of
> failure to put a dent in spam have shown beyond the
> shadow of a doubt that Internet email is broken by
> design and bandaids are not going to fix this, no matter
> how many different bandaids are applied. It is time
> to re-engineer with the benefit of hindsight.

ready, fire, aim.

we aren't hitting the target.  the gun must be broken.

couldn't be that we have lousy eyesight.  or that the ground is shaking.

folks...

when we look at email as a complex human communication service, and we explain
spam as an intrusion into the model of using that service constructively, and
we can formulate reasonable models of "repair" that do not break the broad
utility of service, and we find that we cannot engineer changes to the
existing service  to implement these human-level "repairs", THEN it will be
time to consider "re-engineering" email.