Micorsoft's Sender ID Authentication......?

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Thu Jun 9 20:54:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Barry Shein wrote:

> We've already tackled reputation systems, they were called web site
> certificates. You have to submit to a few fairly stringent checks on
> who you are, typically provide a D&B id which isn't very expensive or
> difficult but not all that easily defrauded w/in some reasonable
> parameters (it ain't bank security but it's good enough to be pretty
> sure you're giving your credit card info to who you think you are,
> damn, you hand your card to strange bartenders right?)

This is accreditation, not reputation.

When you contact somebody and ask to verify your credentials this is
accreditation (and it says nothing about how you're going to act,
just verifies your identity and provides additional info about you).

When somebody else looks at your activity and makes "subjective" judgement
(mosly based on multiple reports from users) and then lets this judgement
about your activities be available to other users then its reputation.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net