GBLX congestion in Dallas area

Dave Stewart dbs at dbscom.com
Tue Jun 7 22:40:10 UTC 2005

At 06:12 PM 6/7/2005, you wrote:

>If we started posting about every fiber cut of every carrier anywhere in
>North America every time it happened there wouldn't be any room left on
>this list for talking about spam, senderid, DNS RFCs, E911 for VoIP
>carriers, err... wait which side am I arguing again? :)

I don't operate even a mid-size network, but when there's an outage that
effects more than a handful of locations, it's useful to know about it...

Not that there's anything I can do about it... but when customers are
calling and asking why they can't reach their application servers, it's
nice to be able to tell them there's a problem at $location and that no, I
don't know when it'll be fixed, but they can be sure it's being worked on.

Sure, I can tell 'em that there's no problem with our network, and that our
connectivity is fine... and leave them to figure out if there's a break
someplace - and I do.

But I think NANOG is certainly an appropriate forum for medium/large-scale
outages - unless someone's created an outage list someplace.

I will agree that it's not the place to bitch about a vendor not giving
more specifics, dumping on vendors in any way, actually...