Cisco and the tobacco industry

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Jul 30 19:08:14 UTC 2005

--On Saturday, July 30, 2005 14:43 -0400 Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 10:28:38 EDT, "Geo." said:
>
>> available for free like the patches need to be. So I suggest they employ
>> a different patch method, you download an exe from their ftp site, it
>> takes your current build which is stored on your computer, patches it,
>> and uploads it to your router or you then upload it to your router.
>
> Your original suggestion was that it push it to the router.
> Security-wise, this is very different from the router pulling it. (Hint -
> consider the authentication issues, not only for a correctly set up
> machine, but for likely misconfigurations actually seen out in the field).

In any case, making router software updates dependent on Windows is a
_REALLY_
bad idea.  Why should I be locked into Micr0$0ft just because I bought a
piece of backbone hardware from Cisco (or any other vendor).

In general, I try to avoid any vendor that requires me to have stuff from
any specific other vendor.  If you can't comply with open standards for
interoperability, your hardware doesn't belong in my network.

> My behavior hasn't changed because my MUA has been able to understand the
> formats originally defined in RFC1847 and RFC2015, as updated by RFC3156,
> for over a decade now.  If you don't like it, complain to your vendor, or
> find a vendor who can follow the RFCs. Or you can fix it yourself by
> visiting http://www.openpgp.org/resources/downloads.shtml and finding a
> plugin for your MUA. A number of them are listed at
> http://www.gnupg.org/(en)/related_software/frontends.html#win

Well said... It's really tiresome that so many users think the world
should comply with and accommodate their errors.

> Curse the dark, or light a match. You decide, it's your dark.

I like that... I will probably plagiarize it. :-)

Owen

--
If this message was not signed with gpg key 0FE2AA3D, it's probably
a forgery.