Two Tiered Internet

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Mon Dec 19 19:34:09 UTC 2005

--On December 15, 2005 11:27:29 AM +0700 Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> given an internet where the congestion is at the edges, where
> there are no alternate paths, i am not sure i understand your
> suggestion.
>
> fergie's message gets my vote for right-on message of the month.
> this is all smoke.

Exactly.  They're scared that VoIP will eat them alive (probably right) and
so they're rushing to 'do something about it' and so they're using the PUCs
to legalize their monopolies.  Can't have this router riff-raff running the
show now can we.  They've been watching income dwindle for a while now.
Long distance isn't the cash cow it once was, with every cell phone getting
free, at least nearly, or cheap LD.  And the prospect of WiFi enabled
cities, that means that no one has to pay them for the last mile, or at
least a lot less people will, well, they (Ma Bell and the Babies) just
can't have that.

I'm hoping to get some more time this week to really read through the
proposed junk and get a better handle on *what* they're trying to do, other
than the obvious of securing their revenue stream by all means necessary.

Fact is, we're (ISPs in general) all lighter, faster, and more aggressive.