SMTP store and forward requires DSN for integrity (was Re:Clueless anti-virus )

Douglas Otis dotis at mail-abuse.org
Fri Dec 9 17:59:52 UTC 2005

On Dec 9, 2005, at 9:22 AM, Todd Vierling wrote:

> Actually, I get about ten to twenty times as much virus blowback as
> I get spam from trojan-zombie boxes.
>
> That's because the virus blowback comes from otherwise "reputable"
> MTAs, whereas the spam comes form zombies that are often already
> blacklisted, or are in known dynamic pools that are blocked here.
> Thus the zombies get blocked long before DATA, but the "reputable"
> MTAs sending the backscatter don't get caught so early.

I am having difficulty understanding why a one time investment in
Bounce-Address Tag Validation which can be in operation immediately
and offer 100% "blowback" protection from _all_ sources using trivial
resources is not being considered?  The more who lock their back
door, the fewer times you will find miscreants checking to see that
it is locked.

-Doug