UUNET connectivity in Minneapolis, MN

James D. Butt jbutt at firecracker.com
Thu Aug 11 18:10:12 UTC 2005

>>> we had a loss of comercial power(coned) in the downers grove terminal.
>>> terminal is up on generator power now.
>>>

>> that seems to map to the internal firedrill as well, anyone else hit by
>> this event?
>>

> Electric utility had a sub-station burn up. resulting in a medium-sized
> geographic area without power -- something like 17,000 residences according
> to news reports (no numbers on 'commercial' custeomrs provided).
>
> AT&T has a facility in the affected area, and were also without utility power.
>
> Rumor mill says that Sprint had a (moderately small) number of T-3 circuits
> affected, as well.

ATT must adhere to some diffrent engineering standards; as well devices we
monitor there were all fine no blips... but all of the MCI customers we
have in IL, MI, WI, MN all had issues...

Power went out at 4:30 ish and ckts all dumped about 8:30 pm...

Then bounced until 6:30 AM this morning.

Not sure I understand how on earth something like this happens... power is
not that confusing to make sure it does not stop working.

JD