Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

James Baldwin jbaldwin at antinode.net
Wed Apr 27 21:09:00 UTC 2005

On 27 Apr 2005, at 06:07, Owen DeLong wrote:

> ISPs transport packets.  That's what they do.  That's what most
> consumers
> pay them to do.  I haven't actually seen a lot of consumers asking for
> protected internet.  I've seen lots of marketing hype pushing it, but,
> very little actual consumer demand.  Sure, the hype will probably
> generate
> eventual demand, but, so far, it hasn't really.

I'm not sure I agree with this statement. Our customers are retained
based on our value added services, including protected internet
initiatives, more than for the Internet service we provide. Internet
service is becoming commoditized to the end user, with multiple choices
at competitive pricing in many markets. Consumers within single
provider markets might expect ISPs to only "transport" packets, however
in multi vendor markets the ISPs are being chosen for offerings above
and beyond network access.

This is becoming especially true for companies like AOL, which are
attempting to move their value added services independently of their
Internet access in anticipation of dropping profit margins on network
access as well as an attempt to break into new single vendor markets.
Moving packets is no longer enough for ISPs.

If customer retention is based on value added services then consumers
are making market decisions based on more than network transit. I
expect NSPs to transport packets. I expect ISPs to provide Internet
services, including security services.

On 27 Apr 2005, at 06:43, Owen DeLong wrote:

> I'm sorry, but, I simply do not share your belief that the educated
> should
> be forced to subsidize the ignorant.  This belief is at the heart of a
> number of today's socialogical problems, and, I, for one, would rather
> not
> expand its influence.

It is becoming more expensive for ISPs to cater to the educated than to
restrict the ignorant. I appears you would prefer the ignorant bear the
burden for the educated. Unfortunately, there are many more ignorant
who are willing to purchase restricted internet than educated who
require unfettered access, moreover the educated understand the value
of unrestricted internet access. As it has a value above and beyond
restricted access, in the sense of unrestricted traffic transport, it
should be billed at a higher rate accordingly.

On 27 Apr 2005, at 16:33, Owen DeLong wrote:

> However, eliminating end-node abuse at the transit just adds more cost
> and is, in the long run, an ineffective solution at best, usually with
> unintended side consequences.

For many problems, eliminating the issue at the transit level increases
cost to the transit provider but reduces cost to the consumer. This
cost reduction can be recouped through effective marketing and having
the customer realize those cost savings. If you reduce customer
rollover you can tolerate or encourage core infrastructure cost
increases as your bottom line can remain the same or increase.

---
James Baldwin
hkp://pgp.mit.edu/[email protected]
"Syntatic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon."