Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Apr 27 05:42:53 UTC 2005

Why do ISPs owe this to their customers.  I expect my ISP to deliver
packets sent to me, and, to pass along packets I send out.  That is
the sum total of what I expect from my ISP, and, it's what my contract
says is supposed to happen.  Where does this belief that when user A
at company Y sends a packet full of garbage to user B ad company Z
the ISP at either end is responsible for the contents of the packet?

That's like making the phone company responsible for the content of
a conversation or saying that Safeway distribution is responsible
for the content of Arrowhead spring water bottles that reach Safeway
stores.

Owen

--On Wednesday, April 27, 2005 8:54 +0530 Suresh Ramasubramanian

--
If this message was not signed with gpg key 0FE2AA3D, it's probably
a forgery.