Slashdot: Providers Ignoring DNS TTL?

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 00:31:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Dean Anderson wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
>
> > > I'd rather expect this sort of behavior with anycasted servers...
> >
> > Where do you see any connection between anycast and ignoring DNS TTL? Or is
> > this just part of your usual rant against anycast DNS service?
>
> The data he showed isn't necessarilly "ignoring ttl".  If there are multiple
> anycasted caching servers behind a specific IP address, then those several
> cache's will each have a different state.  Since, [as I

I fail to see the correlation still.. anycasted caches should all be operating
independently getting their DNS data from authoritative sources.

If at any point one of them uses a TTL that it has not received from the
authoritative source it is ignoring the ttl, where does anycast get involved
with this particular problem?

thanks
Steve