Jonathan Yarden @ TechRepublic: Disable DNS caching on workstations

Peter & Karin Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Mon Apr 18 20:08:01 UTC 2005

> Is it possible to "prevent" poisoning attacks?  Is it beneficial, or
> even possible, to prevent TTL's from being an excessively high value?
>
> --
> Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
> XenoPhage0 at gmail.com

Preventing poisoning attacks:

I guess most attacks are against windows workstations.

1) Hide them behind a NAT-router. If they cannot see them, they cannot
attack them.

2) Have your own DSN-server, root-server, authoritative server, cache.

You can have your own root-server: b.root-servers.net and c.root-servers.net
as well as f.root-servers.net allow cloning. Just run your Bind 9 as a slave
for "." . An authoritative server cannot be poisoned. Only resolvers can.

When you have sensitive addresses put them into your /etc/hosts or clone
their zone. Again Bind 9 allows it. Do their servers?

Get the zone file via ftp or email. Authoritative servers cannot be
poisoned.

Have your own cache behind the NAT-router. If they cannot see you they
cannot poison you.

There is one exception from the rule:

You browse "www.bad.guy". The have a namesever "ns1.bad.guy" that returns
something like

;; ANSWER SECTION:
a.root-servers.net.      86268   IN      A       205.189.71.2

Then your cache will be in the "Public-Root.net" .

But remember - an authoritative DNS-server cannot be poisoned.

Regards,
Peter Dambier

--
Peter und Karin Dambier