ARIN Comment

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at gettcomm.com
Thu Jul 1 22:06:06 UTC 2004

Perhaps there is a message here that ARIN might pick up on some of
the work done in the IETF PIER WG.  This did produce RFC 2071 on why
one wants to renumber (coauthored with Paul Ferguson) and RFC 2072
(my Router Renumbering Guide).  At the time, no one in the WG really
wanted to go after the application renumbering issues.

I can barely spell HTML -- I'm just trying to get a basic webpage.
Clearly, I am not the right person to spearhead an effort, but either
ARIN, or perhaps the RIRs acting as a team, might do well to put out
additional guidance on renumbering.  After such guidance has been
available for some time, the RIRs might reexamine their policies and
see if what evolves as Best Current Practice should enter the
policies.

Is there active work on RFC 2050 bis?  I haven't heard anything in a while.

AFAIK, there's been no activity in ARIN CLEW for some time.

--

Howard C. Berkowitz
Chief Technology Officer

(703)998-5819 voice
(703)998-5058  fax (alas, sometimes poorly operated by "helpful" cat)