Botnet pointer

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Mon Dec 20 21:53:30 UTC 2004

william(at)elan.net wrote:

> Can somebody also share good definition of "BOT" and "BOTNET" for glossary
> and description of 2-4 lines? Should I also list it as synonymous with
> Zombie (bot being more hacker-oriented use and zombie being more toward
> spammer-oriented use)?

I'd let others define a "botnet".

Drones and zombies (same thing) come to distinguish themselves from
regular users. The user is not aware that his machine is running, say,
an IRC client. The client itself may appear human, but is completely
dead. Just a bot following/awaiting commands.

Usually people call them "drone armies" and "zombie networks", but go
figure.. nothing special there.

Basically, these are all ro(BOT)s, but not run by the people whose
machine is running their process.

	Gadi.