[OT] Re: Banned on NANOG

Alex Rubenstein alex at nac.net
Fri Dec 3 05:18:10 UTC 2004

I am going out on a limb here, and leaving lurk mode on this issue. If I
get banned, well, Randy and I can start our own mailing list. We're as
about as grumpy as each other.

I disagree with William entirely. Suspensions are idiotic, and only
detract from the usefulness of the list. S:N is important, but so is being
an human being.

People are people; we are not robots. This list serves a specific purpose,
as does anything in life. Sometimes people do things with stuff that is
out of bounds with said stuff, but, again, people make mistakes.

We're not in school, we don't need suspensions. We need to act like
adults, use this list for it's intended purpose. If someone is a dodo for
a message or two here or there, then, well, we tolerate it and move on,
maybe someone on the list sends that person an email saying, "Dude, your
email was dopey, please stop." If the person continues to be a dodo, get
rid of the problem. It's as simple as that. I think we all agree that RAS
and Randy don't fall into the above category of having to be gotten ridden
of. Again, it's all relative.

So, go ahead and ask, "But, that won't work, will it?"

My rebutt: It's how inet-access (people from 1993 to 2000 or so will know
what this is) worked, and, well, except for the very occasional whack-job,
it worked well. It was a useful list. The reason it died had nothing to do
with S:N on that list; it had to do with the fact that the industry
supporting that list more or less evaporated.

Disagree with me, perhaps I didn't even make sense; perhaps that tells you
about how much sleep I've gotten recently, or the insanity of this entire
situation.

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, alex at nac.net, latency, Al Reuben --
--    Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net   --