Lazy network operators

Crist Clark crist.clark at globalstar.com
Wed Apr 14 17:52:30 UTC 2004

Chris Palmer wrote:

> When evaluating spam solutions, the first thing I ask is, "Does this
> empower users?" If the answer is no, it's probably the wrong solution.

Spammers are users too. You can't spell "abuser" without "user." You
are inherently trying to diminish the power of the abuser users. No
spam mitigation solution can ever answer, "yes," to that question
without the qualification that at least some users, the abusers, will be
disempowered. The equation will always come to balancing how hard you
hit the spammers versus minimizing the collateral damage. Or it's another
classic example of security versus usability.
Crist J. Clark                               crist.clark at globalstar.com
Globalstar Communications                                (408) 933-4387