Spam with no purpose?

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Thu Apr 1 15:03:35 UTC 2004

> A message like this will usualy contain an html portion with an image in
> it that is a single pixel in size, that is white-on-white.  It doesn't
> show up when you look at it, but it sends a request to the sender's
> specified website to get the pixel, thus showing them which email accounts
> are active.

except for those of us who don't use browsers to read mail and have html
turned off in our mail readers.  i just love those "get a mail reader that
can handle html" responses to my requests not to post html to nanog and
other ops lists.  html ain't quite as bad as javascript, but with today's
html hackin' kiddies, it's a close contest.

randy