IAB concerns against permanent deployment of edge-based filtering

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at gettcomm.com
Mon Oct 20 18:25:52 UTC 2003

At 10:57 AM -0700 10/20/03, Owen DeLong wrote:
>OK... I've been lurking for a while.
>
>I think the definition IAB intended to express concern about was:
>
>Backbones (transit providers) deploying [permanent] filtration on their
>connections with other ISPs.
>
>I would like to propose the following terminology definitions FOR
>THIS EMAIL message
>and ask that my following comments be viewed with these definitions in mind:

What you're doing here reminds me of what we did in the BGP
Convergence Technology draft,
http://www.ietf.org/draft-ietf-bmwg-conterm-05.txt (now  with the
IESG).  We made what we felt was a useful but informal distinction
between customer edge routers at the POP, and interprovider edge
routers.  Randy Bush, as the advisor, pointed out these definitions
are not rigorous, and indeed might be considered a research problem.
We modified our language to reflect his concerns, and that we didn't
expect the definitions to be normative.

Nevertheless, there seems a practical need, which you put as a policy
consideration here, to distinguish between routers that connect an
ISP to transit and nontransit peers.  The nontransit peers often will
not be taking full routes.