Tomatoes for Verisign at NANOG 29

JC Dill nanog at vo.cnchost.com
Thu Oct 16 19:45:45 UTC 2003

At 11:56 AM 10/16/2003, Chris Strandt wrote:

>Maybe a "vote" at the end of the presentation would be better.
>
>After Verisign has to say what they want, it would be interesting to see
>what the participants think of starting Site Finder again.
>
>Its not as press worthy... but it lets Verisign have their say, and gives
>the community a voice right there on the spot on the issue.

Have a vote with the tomatoes.  All those who oppose the wildcards would
put their tomatoes or tomato-substitutes in one pile, all those who approve
of the wildcards would put their token-of-choice in another pile.

We need a *visual* way to make the point to Verisign, to ICANN, to the
press, to the Internet using public who do not understand the underlying
technical issue.  The press is not going to put this story on the wire and
carry it on the front page of newspapers around the world if the story is
"NANOG meeting attendees voted 417 to 3 to indicate disapproval of
Verisign's wildcard scheme in the .com and .net root server".  A photo
montage showing people buying tomatoes, holding tomatoes, placing tomatoes
in a pile, a room full of people wearing red shirts, etc. THAT is what the
press needs to get the message out to the people to shame ICANN into doing
the right thing.  Look at this as a photo-op for NANOG participants to
collectively make their point known in a visually graphic way.

jc