Security v. Privacy (was Re: Is there anything that actually gets users to fix their computers?)

Matthew Sullivan matthew at sorbs.net
Mon Oct 6 03:26:07 UTC 2003

Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

>Matthew Sullivan [06/10/03 11:38 +1000]:
>

>>Third time their account is deleted.
>>
>>I am yet to have one that has reached the third time - 85k users here.
>>

>Let me guess - that'd mostly be dialup users, right?  Or maybe simply email
>users?  Not (say) T1 and larger users?

That's:

Dialup, ISDN and analog (ISP)
Hosted Servers (ISP)
Gigabit/100M Connected Networks (Uni Campus/Colleges)

Counting the campus & colleges machines there are a lot more than 85k.

The difference being campus machines are null routed rather than
disconnected, and they are not reconnected until checked and clean.

We have one machine that within 2 weeks got trojaned twice, 4 months
later it's still null routed because the machine owner cannot guarentee
that it won't get trojaned again.

Network security is high priority here and it doesn't matter what
machine is compromised, they are all disconnected in one way or another,
and yet we still have to nuke machines occasionally because of
suspicious (DDoS/scanning etc) traffic.

/ Mat