State Super-DMCA Too True

Peter Galbavy peter.galbavy at knowtion.net
Mon Mar 31 08:21:06 UTC 2003

Jack Bates wrote:
> Please see Saphire worm. Then tell me that an ISP doesn't oversell
> services. The fact is, the entire Internet is oversold. If everyone
> did their full capacity, it would crash. DSL is also based on this
> assumption. Most of the providers selling DSL at the cheap rates are

Er, isn't that the fundamental difference between IP and fixed-bandwidth
voice ? I have spent any number of years trying to 'educate' old guard telco
management and planners that one of the key economic benefits of the
Internet over old fashioned private networks is that the sharing of capacity
actully works 99.99% of the time...

To many telcos came into this market and sold 'no overbooking' QOS and then
wondered why so few bought their overpriced services compared to the new
(also going bust now) network operators ?

Peter