State Super-DMCA Too True

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Sun Mar 30 23:31:06 UTC 2003

Dan Hollis wrote:

> Using the law to defend deceptive business practices. Makes perfect sense.

It's either that or start charging the customer's what it really costs.
They've been so happy to get away from that. Large networks have cut
their rates based on oversell so that mid-sized networks could cut their
rates, so that small networks could cut their rates, so that @home can
have service for $50/mo. If @home uses full bandwidth, and each of the
networks steps up to meet the bandwidth, either a) @home gets billed no
less than 4 times as much or b) any network that doesn't step up pricing
goes into Chapter 11. In addition, it's questionable if the overall
network infrastructure can handle that amount of throughput. 1.5Mb/s to
the house sounds so wonderful, but at $50/mo, it's not really feasible
without a lot of oversell. People traditionally base oversell per
computer connection (taken from dialup overselling).

I disagree with the method, but who am I to say someone else's business
plan is faulty and they shouldn't be allowed to enforce it?

-Jack