Mark Allman: Internet measurement: what next?

Matt Levine matt at deliver3.com
Tue Jul 8 20:02:33 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 3:59PM, Jack Bates wrote:

> Matt Levine wrote:
>> Gomez seems to be trying to do this, with a monetary incentive:
>> http://www.porivo.com/peernetwork/jsp/index.jsp
>
> Test is narrowed to webserver performance and is limited in the actual
> test methods. From what I can tell, it says nothing about network
> performance except in the most general aspects (I can download a page
> from network X faster than network Y). Since it is testing webservers
> and workload is provided by a central site, there is no peer to peer
> interaction or discovery. The RIPE-NNC tests are much more related to
> what I was refering to, although they are limited in many reguards.

Indeed, but some tweaking to the software could have it act in a more
broad nature, my point was simply that there's somebody trying to build
a metric-oriented 'network' of end-user nodes, similar to SETI (though
obviously a commercial venture, in this case).

--
Matt Levine <matt at deliver3.com>
"The Trouble with doing anything right the first time is that nobody