mSQL Attack/Peering/OBGP/Optical exchange

Kurt Erik Lindqvist kurtis at kurtis.pp.se
Thu Jan 30 14:36:14 UTC 2003

> I have received information on router utilizations, some routers it
> seems may have held up better then others.  That information is
> useful.  But I am working on some optical exchange point/optical metro
> designs and this might have a dramatic impact if one considers things
> like OBGP, Uni 1.0, ODSI etc etc.
>
> A working hypothesis on the affect of this type of attack on a
> dynamically allocated bandwidth network (such as an optical exchange
> running OBGP etc) would have had a drastic affect on resources.  All
> the available spare capacity would have likely be allocated out.  So
> the "bucket" would have run dry.  Understanding that exchange points
> of this type (or metro area dynamic layer1 transport networks) will
> manage the total bandwidth needs to always maintain adequate available
> capacity

The problem with ONI and MP<whatever>S models is that there is little
or no correlation between the topology aware layers. You will most
likely sooner or later end up in a situation where the layers will
start to oscillate.

So, I would not build a optical IX around this model - if I would build
a optical IX at all.

- kurtis -