management interface accessability (was Re: Worm / UDP1434)

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Sun Jan 26 01:37:16 UTC 2003

> > Anybody here on list using Extreme products (Summit/ Alpine/
> > Blackdiamond)?  They sure don't like this traffic one bit. It causes
> > them to not only drop traffic, but spew out every available error
> > message under the sun...
>
> We use extremes in our core and it did not log much other than CPU issues:
>
> 01/25/2003 02:20.23 <INFO:SYST> task tNetTask cpu utilization is 88% PC:

All of the ExtremeNetworks devices I've laid my hands on are in strict L2
mode and their management interfaces are either on private networks or behind
firewalls.  If you are relying on their ACL's to protect your telnet and
snmp access, but are otherwise allowing their management interfaces to hear
traffic from the whole Internet, then you should turn in your badge and go
back to bagging groceries or whatever it is you used to do.  (Same goes for
any management interface on any L1-L2-L3-L4 product made by any vendor, so
I'm not intending to pick on Extreme individually here.)
--
Paul Vixie