DWDM interconnects

David Diaz techlist at smoton.net
Tue Jan 7 00:19:15 UTC 2003

It was something that came up years ago on where would peering go if
traffic levels kept the growth rate exponential.

Problem is that while the equipment vendors use "standard" channel
frequencies.  The implementation (ie protocols)  is completely
different.  While both companies may have DWDM equipment they must
hand off standard 1310nm.

While working on designs for Bellsouth Mix, we really wanted to
extend DWDM directly to the customers.  At the very least we
hypothesized that with a colo we could see a benefit to DWDM
cross-connects (ie intra-node, hair-pinning) however we quickly ran
into the vendor issue.

If you approach the vendors, the incumbents have no desire to open up
their technology since they feel they already "own" the customer
base.  New companies such as Sycamore or ONI have to find ways to
reverse engineer without breaking the law or getting sued.  They then
run the risk of having this engineering break during an software
upgrade to the incumbent's equipment.

Sycamore's fix product for example shot DWDM waves using the nortel
upgrade port. So u could use sycamore's cheaper equipment to add
capacity to your network.  They shot at different wavelengths to the
nortel gear and therefore caused no problems to the existing network.
Nortel was not amused since they would have preferred to sell much
for expensive waves.

So at the MIX even though we had DWDM throughout the network, we were
handing off 1310 to customers.  If they did buy similar gear we could
have extended the DWDM directly to them.  We also could allow for CNM
(customer network management) which would allow the customer to
control the waves they "owned" on our network.

It would seem logical at some point that carriers need to put
pressure on their vendors to not only standardize on channels and
frequencies but also on a common inter-vendor transport protocol.
Treating each DWDM wave as a VPN (or VLAN) for peering btw specific
peers makes sense for growth.

dave

--

David Diaz