US-Asia Peering

David Diaz techlist at smoton.net
Fri Jan 3 15:11:09 UTC 2003

Both Stephen and Jeff and correct.

And Im not sure it would be in the best interests of the colo company
to be a jack of all trades.

Where I do see a benefit are where an exch pt company wants to start
a new one in a new city.  It's the classic chicken and the egg.
Where I have promoted allowing a beta group of peers to jump in for
little or no charge till say peer #6, another solution is to connect
that new exch pt to a successful one at another location.  Allowing
the benefit of new peers at location B to see old peers at location
A.  This would allow a critical mass of peers immediately, and would
allow customer 1 to see benefit.

Some restrictions might have to be in place.

1) Limiting the traffic levels for distance peering.  100meg or 1 Gig
would do it
2) Perhaps a time limit

Also, instead of competing with carriers at this new location B, you
would actually prove there is business there.  Most companies are in
a wait and see mode before deploying, or a wait and get an order 1st
mode.  By jump starting the peering with transport, you then have the
data the carrier engineers need to justify a build.

This IS one way to get more successful peering points started.

--

David Diaz
dave at smoton.net [Email]