East Coast outage?

sgorman1 at gmu.edu sgorman1 at gmu.edu
Fri Aug 15 18:30:31 UTC 2003

I think the power grid outage is a good example of the robust yet fragile phenomenon found in many complex networks.  The power grid is robust to even large variations in demand, but is extremely sensitive to the loss of particualr power lines or generators (see any of the work done by Massoud Amin).  The reason is that vast majority of generators have only a few internconnections but there are a minority that have a large number that are critical to keeping the system going.  If one of those gerneators in the minority has a failure it can rapidly result in a cascading failure since most of the adjacent generators do not have the capacity to handle the rerouted power. The Internet at the AS level is similar to the US power grid from a structural connectivity perspective, except there is even a smaller minority of nodes with an even larger percentage of connections.  Theoretically going from a few large transit providers to more mid size or smaller providers would increase the resilie...

The big 1996 power failure out west ended up resulting from a power line in Oregon that was downed by a falling tree branch.  The rerouted capacity resulted in a cascading failure that spread to Denver and California.