How do you stop outgoing spam?

Eliot Lear lear at cisco.com
Tue Sep 10 00:15:27 UTC 2002

Paul Vixie wrote:
> per-destination host AND port egress rate shaping.  if someone tries to send
> more than 1Kbit/sec to all port 80's, or more than 1Kbit/sec to any single
> IP address, then you can safely RED their overage.  this violates the whole
> peer-to-peer model but there's no help for that in the short term.  if some
> internet cafe has a CuCme camera setup then you can find a way to let that
> traffic off-net without rate shaping.  this will be the exception.

Please be aware that this could have unintended consequences, and should
be used in very constrained ways.  In particular, there are any number
of applications, including VPN applications that use port 80.  I would
recommend that only specified destinations get such treatment, if you
apply it at all.

Eliot