no ip forged-source-address

Hank Nussbacher hank at att.net.il
Thu Oct 31 06:47:33 UTC 2002

At 01:36 AM 31-10-02 -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

>It's the difference between:
>
>A) Going out to your car at the end of a too-long day and finding a
>broken taillight.
>
>B) Going out to your car at the end of a too-long day and finding a
>broken taillight and a business card under the windshield wiper that
>has "Sorry - call me and I'll pay for it" written on the back.

It is better than not having it but we should not get our hopes up that DOS
attacks would stop.  Remember when 60% of the Internet mail servers were
open mail relays?  We all thought closing them up would stop spam.  Today
it is less than 1% but I would say that the amount of spam has not dropped
proportionality.  See:
http://www.nwfusion.com/columnists/2002/1014buzz.html
for reference.

-Hank