new bind vuln

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Wed Nov 13 13:28:01 UTC 2002

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 12:46:28AM -0500, Barney Wolff wrote:

> This does beg the question (not that I hold *you* responsible!)
> why the advisory had to come out before the patch.  Does anyone
> know whether the news had escaped to the blackhats?  Otherwise
> I cannot understand the rationale.
> Barney

	Asking the wrong person on at one.  And by that, I mean both
Steve (who has nothing to do with it) and myself (I'm the Senior Researcher
and Fellow at ISS, so I guess I do have something to do with it).  ISS was
under the impression that the patches and new sources WOULD be available
when we released.  We released as agreed upon and they weren't.  What
can I say...

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 12:06:04AM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> > CERT said that the ISS advisory was to be released on 13 November, and
> > that the patch would be available from ISC next week.  There was no
> > indication about when CERT itself was going to issue an advisory, but
> > clearly someone said something a day earlier than had been expected.

> > 		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb (me)
> > 		http://www.wilyhacker.com ("Firewalls" book)

> --
> Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
> I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.

	Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/