uRPF Loose Check Mode vs. ACL

Livio Ricciulli livio at reactivenetwork.com
Sun May 5 23:20:43 UTC 2002

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

>On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 11:55:21AM -0700, Livio Ricciulli wrote:
>
>>In particular, I am interested in the ability of eliminating specific
>>routes from the FIB under uRPF Loose Check Mode to effectively filter
>>specific source addresses that are flooding.
>>
>>As I understand the concept, eliminating an address from the FIB such as
>>x.y.0.0/24 would have the equivalent effect of installing a network-wide
>>ACL rule:
>>
>>deny ip x.y.0.0/24 any
>>

>Not quite.
>
>First, lets be specific by what you mean by "remove from the FIB", as
>there are a number of different methods you could use. You could simply
>block it from the RIB when generating the FIB, you could go back after FIB
>generation and try to make it unresolved, or you could change the nexthop
>to "discard". If you're trying to replicate traditional firewall behavior
>(filter no matter what) you would have to do it post FIB generation, but if
>you are trying to replicate normal routing behavior (ex: a null route) you
>would have to do it during FIB generation, so that you can potentially
>have more specific routes which escape the "filter".

escaping the "filter" with more specific routes would be absolutely
necessary.

>Secondly, when you remove something from your FIB, you also block
>destination routing as well as source.

Good point; so in ACL equivalent language you are saying that taking out
a FIB entry in uRPF Loose Check Mode is equivalent to a network-wide
insertion of:

deny ip x.y.0.0/24 any (from the uRPF Loose Check Mode)
deny ip any x.y.0.0/24 (from the absence of a route)

(modulo the more specific routes to escape the "filter" which could be expressed as prepended permits in the ACL equivalent world)

>>The reason why I ask is that we would like to keep control of these
>>two important aspects of the traffic to avoid filtering out too much
>>and therefore possibly affecting legitimate traffic. Think of the case where
>>a flood targets one of multiple downstream customers and the spoofed
>>addresses correspond to a popular address range (such as Yahoo).  Doing
>>a "deny ip x.y.0.0/24 any" would effectively shut down Yahoo's traffic
>>for all downstream customers thus amplifying the attacker's effect.
>>

>It sounds like what you are looking for has nothing to do with the RPF or
>the FIB, but rather simply manual source address filtering.

Well, I am investigating if it is possible today to use uRPF Loose Check
Mode to achieve network-wide source/destination address filtering
functionality (it seems not from what you write). I immagine that it
would be useful to use route advertisements to enforce network-wide
access control policies. These policies, however, to be generally
interesting for DDoS would have to be at least as expressive as
 "<deny|permit> <proto> <source> <destination>"  (hence my questions).

Livio.