Dshield.org

jnull jnull at truerouting.com
Sun Jul 28 19:04:56 UTC 2002

"I do not recommend adding every IP listed at DShield to your filter"
/understatement.

I took a short while to peruse the data collected and distributed by
DShield. I don't believe I need to go into the many reasons (I'm sure
you know yourself) why this information is completely unreliable, but
worse, possibly damaging. Offering this data, backed up by SANS name for
credibility, might entice a novice engineer to act upon it.

This:
"Disclaimer
DShield currently employs as little filtering of incoming reports as
possible. Most reports are sent anonymously. We do not know if these
logs are truthful, or if the firewall configuration was correct.
DShield.org will attempt to protect the identity of the submitter. If
you have a question regarding a specific target or source IP, please
send an e-mail to info at dshield.org." is insufficient
and-IMHO-irresponsible.

That said, I do believe your motives and purpose is worthwhile, but the
process completely undermines them both. If you're interested in
retooling the scripts and using registered and credible sources, I would
not only offer assistance in the effort but endorse it as well.

Jeff Nelson
PGP: 0x54B1A25C

"There are 10 types of people:
those that understand binary,