HP Openview

dre andre at operations.net
Wed Jul 10 20:51:40 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 04:34:26PM -0400, Eric Whitehill wrote:
> Am I wasteing my time with HP Openview?  If you are using it, are you
> pleased?

What are you trying to accomplish?  Many Internet organizations use
a combination of opensource and commercial tools (HPOV being the most
popular of the commercial tools) to help manage their networks.

The CAIDA tool taxonomy attempts to identify some of the tools that
real people use for network management (it's a good place to start):
http://www.caida.org/tools/taxonomy/

It is easy to waste time with any NMS package (commercial or opensource),
so be careful of what you pay for, who you hire to manage these
resources, and how you go about working on NMS-related projects.

-dre